Thursday, January 17, 2008


My daughter is a complete animal lover. She's not the least bit afraid of cats or dogs and will usually try to hug or kiss any animal she gets close to. We have a cat who lives outside, but he sneaks in at least once a day. I can usually find the two of them somewhere in the house together, sometimes curled up on her bed. So, part of me would really love to have an animal in the house, just for Finley's sake. But I just don't understand how to have an animal in the house. We used to have cats in the house before we had kids and it was a big disaster. (Shelly can attest to this, because she once sat right in a puddle of cat pee at my house. Plus, after we put the cats out of the house, my mom told me my house smelled like cats when they were inside. That info would have been more useful earlier.) All I can think of is chewed up furniture, ruined carpet, and...you know...the smell. So, pet lovers, how do you do it? How is it possible to have an animal in the house without a huge mess?

7 comments:

Romack said...

Larry was really all we had for an example when we got Mandi - and that's a bad example because he's not a normal dog. Mandi was a tough puppy to train, since we did no research about breeds before getting a dog (and Mandi, being a border-collie lab, is hyper as all get out).

We got lucky because she's smart and picks things up. Dogs take work, and time.

Any animal is going to smell. But you guys don't have carpet...so, that would help overall. Dogs are teachable, they're fun, and more outgoing - in my opinion.

The problem with cats is, you never know. They may love to snuggle up, or they may hiss everytime you show them affection. And litter boxes are nasty.

I think the Wrights need a dog...but research a breed that would fit characteristics you do and do not desire.

Rachel said...

I don't know that I'll ever have another inside dog again. I can't handle the hair. Maybe, you could shave your dog like I accidentally had done to our dog once. Do you remember that? I didn't realize there was a difference between getting a dog clipped and getting him shaved. Jason told me to have the groomer clip him and I told them to shave him. Our collie looked like an overgrown Chihuahua. I felt really sorry for him. He always looked a little embarrassed.

Todd Wright said...

I remember when Dog got "shaved." That was hilarious.

Angela said...

No matter the animal:

1)get a vaccum that picks up all hair

2)train, train, train

3)keep all valuables away from the floor

I think messes are inevitable, but it is possible to control how many messes occur. Dogs need to be walked everyday for exercise. I like cats too. They are more independant.

Amy said...

Yes, puppies are a pain to train, but once you get past the training I think it's worth that pain. My kids wouldn't know what to do without a dog in the family. (They have only gone 2 weeks without one in their lives.) Having a dog has taught them a lot. For us the good definitely outweighs the bad. I love my dog!

Shelly Conn said...

Yes, the cat pee. I'll never forget that night. I was so proud of my new pants, but not for long. My kids really want a puppy. But with the new baby coming in June and Levi only being one. I am going to have to pass. I have enough training to do.

Kaity said...

i have a cat and a dog in the house. the dog is pretty good. he lets us know when he needs to go outside and he is short haired so he doesnt shed a whole lot. but my cat. differnt story. she sheds all over the place. and her litter box stinks even after i clean it out. i should have potty trained her!