Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I'm sick. I've got a cold. Maybe. I don't really know what it is. I'm keeping hope alive that it's not the flu. Most people have a comfort food they want when they're sick. So do I. I also have a comfort drink, a comfort nightgown, a comfort blanket and a comfort movie.

My comfort food is mashed potatoes. Right at this moment I'm sending telepathic messages to Todd in hopes that he'll come back from guitar lessons with some Cotton Patch mashed potatoes. Macaroni and cheese will also do if no mashed potatoes are available.

My comfort drink is a mixed strawberry and Coke Icee. My mom used to bring these to me when I was sick as a kid. They're the perfect (temporary) cure for a sore throat. When I'm sick, I prefer for Icees to be brought to me without me having to ask for them. This almost never happens.

My comfort nightgown is an old, faded red knit gown. It's long sleeved and comes down to my ankles. On the front, it has a little picture of a Scottie dog wearing a plaid vest. I've had it for at least 10 years. It's not a pretty sight, folks. But it's a dear friend.

My comfort blanket is a patchwork quilt we got at a wedding shower. Several of the patches are coming apart at the seams. But it's the perfect weight for a sick person. You know how when you're sick, you're cold, then you're hot, and a heavy blanket is just too much? This one is just right.

My comfort movie is "The First Wives Club." Not exactly a classic, I know. But it's funny every time I watch it, and it reminds me of my best friends. I have it on VHS, and our VCR isn't hooked up, so I guess this time I'll have to forego this comfort. Oh well. Guess that means I get a double batch of mashed potatoes instead.

So, am I the only one? Or does anyone else have a list like this?

10 comments:

Angela said...

I hope you get well soon! I love reading your blog....and I'll think about my list.

Amy said...

A Coke Icee has always been my comfort drink. When I lived in Lufkin, Del Rio tortilla soup was my comfort food. Good thing I haven't been really sick in the four years since we left Lufkin, because I need to find a new comfort food.

Amy said...

And, good thing Lost is on tonight and tomorrow night since you can't watch your comfort movie.

Robert Conn said...

Hey my comfort food is mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. I also like my heavy quilt when I am sick and cold. Right know the best mashed potatoes are from McAlester's Deli. Sorry ladies not so much on the Icee. I would rather have something warm to drink.

This is Shellly, not Robert

Rachel said...

Comfort Drink is 7-up. Comfort food is probably tomato soup and grilled cheese. Comfort blanket is a quilt. Comfort gown is an old, red, polyester gown that belonged to my grandmother. Kind of weird, huh? I remember as a child, if I was sick, I always wanted to wear my mom's gowns. This gown is similar to the ones she used to always wear.

Todd Wright said...

Usually, if I'm not feeling well, the thing that brings me comfort is lots and lots of sleep.

Wait a second...we're married....you know this stuff!

Angela said...

Comfort food: chips and salsa or chicken and dumplings
Comfort drink: sweet tea
I also like to curl up in bed, start a movie and possibly even sleep through the whole thing.

Kaity said...

my comfort movie is pride and prejudice. my comfort food is cinnamon sugar pie crust! and milk is my drink!

the comment from robert/shelly was strange. you read it thinking its robert talking then come to find out it was really shelly. that threw me off a little bit

Todd Wright said...

That's true, Kaity Friday...

"Sorry, ladies, not so mucn on the Icee."

It's like a bad profile on match.com on something.

Hey, why do I call you "Kaity Friday?" Why can't I use just your first name. Weird.

Kaity said...

Thats a good question. But dont worry you are not the only one. oddly enough there are several people that cant just call me kaity. it has to be KaityFriday. and its usually pronounced as one word.