Tuesday, January 01, 2008



Here he is, folks. Six years ago, I met this little guy. I knew when I saw his face, I was in for an adventure, but I really had no idea what that meant. To be honest, I was terrified at the idea of having a little boy. I had no idea what being a mother to a little boy would be like. Well, six years later, I can honestly say...




I have a more extensive knowledge of superheroes than any other woman I know.

I have a jar in my cabinet with holes punched in the lid in
case a four legged or six legged or eight legged critter wanders by.

I got more bloody noses and busted lips in the first 3 years of his life than in my whole life up to that point.

I know the life cycles of caterpillars, flies, spiders, beetles,
fleas, frogs and jellyfish.

I have learned to never, ever say the words, "You're bleeding."

I have been asked to sing the theme from "SpongeBob Square
Pants" as a bedtime song.

I've made enough capes and masks to last a lifetime.

I have memorized the words of the The Big Red Barn and
Where the Wild Things Are.

I've wondered how I ever lived without all the kisses and hugs
I get from him every day.

I've marveled at the way his eyes crinkle up when he laughs.

I've asked myself, "What did I do all day long before I had him?"

Here's the thing I've learned about little boys...they grow on you. So here's to you, Jonah, my love. Thank you for all you've taught me, and continue to teach me every day.



You are human boy, my young friend.


A human boy.


O glorious to be a human boy!...


O running stream of sparkling joy


To be a soaring human boy!


-Charles Dickens

4 comments:

Kacie said...

I'm in tears. I was just going through some pictures tonight and found the ones of Justin and I holding him in the hospital. I can't beleive it's been six years. He's been alive most of our marriage.

I hope I can be a good "boy mommy" for Lachlan. I know very little about superheroes. I'm still in the lands of Dora and Cinderella which will obviously be re-visited often with Paisley on the way. I guess Lachlan and Justin will teach me what I need to know.

Happy Birthday, Jonah!! We love you.

Amy said...

What a beautiful post. It was great to see you and your kids during our travels.

Melissa Lee said...

Can you believe we're mommies? What the heck happened here? My how things have changed. And by the way...my mom really did open a butterfinger full of maggots.

I love you Dororthy.

Rachel said...

He is so big. You have done a great job with him. You're a great mom.