Monday, May 26, 2008

A happy Memorial Day to one and all...we had a great one! The day started for me at 7:15, when Finley woke up. I wish I could tell y'all I'm one of those moms (like my own mom) who are dressed, with a full face of makeup and perfect hair, and who have done a load of laundry, cleaned the bathroom, and done their Bible study by the time their kids wake up. Nope. Not me. Sometimes I haven't even done that stuff by lunchtime.

So Finley and I get up, and I take off her WET pajamas, as I do every morning. Every. Morning. Her diaper leaks every night. But do I switch to a different brand of diapers? NO. Because, I think, she will be potty trained any day now. Then it won't matter. Me? Delusional?

I get her changed and dressed, and she begs to watch Milo and Otis. Remember that one, with the cat and the dog? Finley is a notorious movie starter. Meaning, she starts the movie, then gets up and leaves after the opening credits. An hour later, she asks to watch it again.

I then went to wake up Todd and Jonah around 8:00. Jonah is FINALLY to the age that he wants to sleep late. Hallelujah! For almost 6 years he got up every morning by 6:00. In fact, this past Saturday, the whole family slept until 9:00. A first. In 6 1/2 years. Literally.

We all got dressed and headed over to my parents' house for breakfast. Bacon, eggs and buttermilk pancakes. Then, because we couldn't hold them back for one more second, the kids went swimming. OK, really they just splashed because it's a small inflatable pool, but they called it swimming. (Actually, we did have to hold Finley back. Her swimsuit was too small so I had to run to Target and get a new one. While I was gone, she peed on the floor and slipped down in her own pee. But she eventually did get to the pool.)

We headed home around lunchtime. I didn't even have to fix lunch for them because my mom had stuffed them full of Indiana Jones Pop Tarts (yep!) while they were swimming. I don't really remember much after that, because once we got home, Finley and I took naps. I think at some point, Jonah left with Todd's mom, and I remember something about Todd eating chips.

We headed back to town at 4:00 for a birthday party/Memorial Day celebration. If y'all didn't know, my family LOVES a good party. Heck, they love a bad party. Just give them some BlueBell ice cream and they'll call it a success. But today, my family hit the jackpot. My uncle accidentally left his freezer door open last night, and when he got up today, he found all the meat thawed. We went over expecting grilled hamburgers, but what we got was grilled chicken, baby back ribs, steaks and even peach cobbler. Let's just say: a good time was had by all.

We had stop at Brookshire Bros. on our way home to pick up some milk. I also was lucky enough to pick up the last pint of BlueBell Moooo Tracks ice cream.

Now we're home, and my kids are asleep. I officially declare this day a success.

No comments: