Friday, August 31, 2007

I thought I'd be able to keep it together a little better than I have this week. You know, anytime it would come up in conversation that Jonah was starting Kindergarten this year, people would give me this knowing, pitying look. But I thought it would really be no big deal since he's been in Mother's Day Out for a couple of years. I couldn't have been more wrong.
Sunday night, I was a little weepy when we put him to bed. I just kept thinking, "Are we here already?" I kept thinking of him as a baby, or a toddler, or anything but a kindergartener. But I thought that would be it for the tears once we put him to bed. Wrong.
Todd was watching Saving Private Ryan and I just happened to be in the room during a particularly moving scene where a dying soldier calls out for his mama. That's all it took. I boo-hooed. I mean, sobbed, y'all. And pretty soon, Todd was sitting right beside me crying, too!
I was fine on Monday morning. After all, it was the "big event" we had been waiting on for weeks. Jonah was nervous, but shed no tears, so neither did I. We did drive past the school twice that day to try to see him, though.
Then, Tuesday morning, things weren't so great. I was really grouchy, got into a fight with Todd, and went and spied on Jonah at recess, only to see him sitting out because he was in some sort of trouble. More tears from Mommy.
Today is Friday, and I'm looking forward to having Jonah home for the weekend. I really don't think I was prepared for the emptiness of the day without Jonah around. If you know Jonah at all, you know he's a ball of energy, full of questions and plans and hugs and fun. It feels so weird for all that to be gone for 7 whole hours every day. I'm ready for Christmas holidays already.

2 comments:

Todd Wright said...

Kristen, I am constantly amazed by your love and patience for our kids. You are the stability of our home and you make it such a great place where all of us can find some peace.

I know you miss, Jonah, but I've been so impressed by your wisdom this past week.

Rachel said...

You made me cry, however it doesn't take much these days.