Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Yesterday my son caught me in a disciplinary "faux pas." He had his Sit-n-Spin (are you familiar? did you have one too? I did.) upside down on the tile floor rolling it around. Loudly. I was, at that moment, on mommy auto-pilot (are you familiar? do you have one too? ) , so I told him if he didn't stop it I would confiscate the Sit-n-Spin and put it up in the cabinet. A person would have to have a mighty big cabinet to fit a Sit-n-Spin inside it. Jonah pointed this out to me. Am I the only one who has mommy auto-pilot? I think not. I once witnessed our own Shelly cut the crust off her own toast then cut the toast into tiny, bite sized squares while she was on mommy auto-pilot. This is not to be confused with "mommy reflex," which causes a mommy to do things like put her hands directly into the flow when her child throws up, as if she could somehow catch it. Strange, but, I believe, almost universally true. Also universally gross.

2 comments:

mssharealot said...

Other, nearly universal "mommy auto-pilot" sayings:
1. Be nice to your brother/sister
2. What do you say?
3. Sit up straight
4. Get your finger out of your nose/mouth
5. Because I said so, that's why!

Some others from my house:
1. The vaccuum is not scary.
2. Go to your room if you are going to cry that loud.
3. No you may not have Cheerios for dinner.

Kacie said...

I have been on mommy autopilot before where I have started talking baby talk while tickeling and playing with my almost 3 year old as I really would do with my 4 month old. This really isn't so bad since she is 2, I know, but it is much more embarassing when you do this to your spouse. I just really hope, for my sake and theirs, I never do this to anyone else.